How do you identify a pest?
- Step 1: Examine the Plant. If you suspect an insect is causing problems, examine the plant. Check the leaves, top and bottom, looking for insects, caterpillars, and egg masses.
- Step 2: Identify the Type of Pest. Entomologists (insect specialists) often categorize insects by how they feed. Chewing insects eat leaves.
What are these bugs in my house?
Bugs commonly found inside homes include ants, cockroaches, earwigs, firebrats, flies, house centipedes, silverfish, and spiders. Pet owners sometimes have to deal with fleas and ticks in the house.
Where can I send a picture of a bug for identification?
We generally cannot identify a bug without a photo! By submitting an identification request and/or photo(s), you give WhatsThatBug.com permission to use your words and image(s) on their website and other WhatsThatBug.com publications.
What are the two types of pest?
1) Insect: These are important and major pests.
What is the most common pest?
Top 10 House Pests
- Flies. Whether they’re houseflies or fruit flies, these pests can carry a wide range of diseases including food poisoning bacteria.
- Bed bugs. Contrary to their name, bed bugs can also be found in cracks and crevices.
- Ants. Ants enter houses in search of food.
Where can I send insects for identification?
For insect identification questions, the websites below can be useful places to start.
- iNaturalist (also available via mobiel app: iOS, Android)
- Ask an Entomologist.
- What’s That Bug?
- Pest World Pest Guide.
- Insect Identification Forum.
- Insect Identification Key.
Is there a free insect identification app?
The application can be downloaded in the Google Play Android store for free. However, in-App purchases cost $2.99, and each one is good for one bug submission. Pest Identifier is also equipped with a pest library to browse bugs and see if you can identify them before sending a picture.