How do you write YA in fantasy?
- 8 Steps Towards Page-Turning YA Fantasy.
- Craft Complex, Relatable, 3-Dimensional Characters.
- Craft a Villain That’s Hard to Hate and Love.
- Build Romance Into the Subplot.
- Always Show Over Tell.
- Use the Five Senses Instead of Deferring to Explaining.
- Good Dialogue Matters.
- Craft an Immersive Fantasy World.
Is 50000 words enough for a YA novel?
While 50,000 words is a fairly firm minimum, plenty of YA books reach up to 100,000 words, with a sweet spot at 75,000-80,000.
How do I format a YA book?
How To Format Your Book: Tips for Nailing Your Book Format
- Use black, 12-point, Times New Roman as the font.
- Use the U.S. standard page size of 8.5×11 inches and set your margins to 1 inch on all sides.
- Set alignment to left justified.
- Use a single space after periods.
- Use double-spaced line spacing.
What makes a story YA?
Young adult fiction (YA) is a category of fiction written for readers from 12 to 18 years of age. Common themes related to YA include friendship, first love, relationships, and identity. Stories that focus on the specific challenges of youth are sometimes referred to as problem novels or coming-of-age novels.
How do you write a good ya?
Six Tips for Writing Young Adult Novels
- POV. Get the POV right.
- Age. Make sure your character’s age suits your audience.
- Voice/Language. Figure out the voice, and the language will follow.
- Touchy Subjects. Don’t shy away from touchy subjects.
- Preachiness. Don’t get preachy.
- Hopeful Endings. Write hopeful endings.
How long does it take to write a YA book?
The average time to write a book for most authors is 180 days, or 6 months, more or less. Usually, it takes authors anywhere from 4-8 months to complete a book.
How long can a YA novel be?
For young adult fiction, the word count is once again lower, with the ideal being 55,000 – 80,000 words. Younger still, middle grade fiction (ages 9-12) should come in between 30,000 and 55,000 words. Books for readers aged 5-8 typically sit around 20,000 words.
What makes a good YA book?
The same principles that elevate all great novels—a strong point of view, emotional truth, a relatable main character, entertaining secondary characters, fluid use of language, and a story worth investing in—are what elevate YA books.
How do you write a good YA?
Can you swear in YA fiction?
When it comes to writing for Young Adults, swearing is allowed, so long as the themes of your novel demand it and you’re writing for the more mature YA audience (that is, one likely to be making its own book selections).
What’s the best way to write YA fiction?
Thinking back to your own young adult years is a great way to get ‘in the zone’ for writing YA fiction. But be careful not to rely on this too much, especially when writing your characters’ dialogue. You’ll need some idea of the language and communication patterns and habits of today’s teenagers.
Is it easier to write fiction for young adults?
One of the most common misconceptions about writing for young adults is that it’s easier than writing for adults. This is entirely untrue. Writing YA fiction involves all the same challenges as writing adult fiction (with a few additional aspects thrown in as well).
Are there any mistakes in writing YA fiction?
This is entirely untrue. Writing YA fiction involves all the same challenges as writing adult fiction (with a few additional aspects thrown in as well). For this reason, there are quite a few mistakes that are commonly made by YA writers, especially if they’re new to the craft.
Is it easy to write a YA book?
When it comes to writing YA, it can be easy to underestimate the task. Casual readers may assume that all YA writing is simple, all its plots juvenile. However, in the majority of cases, this just isn’t true.